Tuesday 17 December 2019

Game Journalism Day 4

We are officially moving on from the fido fiasco.
That encampment had supplies and a horrible encounter with the seeker, but I moved on and found this creepy little farm in the middle of nowhere.
There were little rocks all along the path that made SO MUCH NOISE I was practically begging the seeker to eat me.
I found and chased a lovely little tumbleweed, ignoring the imminent danger posed by the seeker.
And then this monstrosity came into view. As soon as I saw it I made the realization that the seeker could obviously not burrow up through stone. This would be a great place to camp out.

Apparently this little old guy had the same realization. He sent me on a bunch of errands around the cliffs, where I nearly died a bunch of times and spilled a bunch of water, so that was fun. The seeker was there, following me around, but as suspected he was not a very good rock climber.
After all that this eyesore was my reward. I put it on the back of my ship so I could at least still see where I was going the rest of the time. I think I'll need to expand my ship as well. Building on your ship and having room to make things is a big deal in this game. I've been preoccupied staying alive and accomplishing tasks, but I would highly recommend building on your ship.
After flying a little longer I found a valley of dead trees, with some caravans, the usual dead people and LO AND BEHOLD, a DEAD seeker!
Someone managed to kill one of these 'critchers'. I took a sample and the research equipment found in the back of the caravan. Maybe I can find a way to kill the one following me.
I also found this crazy thing in one of the tents. Hello creepy totem thunderbird, how are you?
As usual, I moved on before the seeker had the chance to murder me. This oasis came up pretty fast, a beautiful little place with a bunch of trees and water, hallelujah!
And there was this funny little wolf-man! I already ate all my food, so I had nothing for him, but he invited me to stay, which was nice.
Obviously I cut down all his trees and ate all his fish before leaving. Thanks guy!
Next there was this little innocent town on the horizon. I figured I stop for supplies like I always do when I see any kind of change in the endless desert.
That proved to be an extremely bad decision; I was trapped in a house by a seeker. A strange message about facing down with the beast appeared on my screen before he ruthlessly trapped me and it occurred to be that I probably missed something and should have some kind of weapon or knowledge of a weapon so I can get rid of the monstrosity and move on.
Thinking along those lines I made a made dash for the armory, hoping I could figure out a way to kill the thing. That was an even WORSE decision, as all the weapons were locked behind bars, and there was only one door. I had to use my noisemaker just to get from the church to the armory so I was sure I was going to die here.
But then I didn't! I made it out by the skin of my teeth, screaming the whole way with the seeker chasing me, and lived to fight another day!
The next time I stopped was at this weird cave encampment, with this long creepy tunnel and ominous vibe. Of course, I went in.
The scariest thing about the cave was the different paths you could take. I have no sense of direction, and was positive I was doomed to get lost.
In each of the rooms there was a dead guy, and some lovely falling stalagmites which killed me once, and then this mushroom room. There was a dead guy who definitely died after eating those red mushrooms so, note to self, don't eat those.
I also found a farm of sunflowers, and a maze, and for once the seeker didn't find me? I have a feeling that I am going to need to find the way to kill this thing, and quick, because it obviously has a plan to kill me.

Here's my advice for players; take your time. I definitely missed a few things, and haven't quite figured out how things work yet. I am easily scared, so I have the tendency to just 'nope' my way out of places without looking back. Don't be me! Build your airship, explore and observe, stick it to the seeker, and find a way to kill that thing!
Also, try and get a bobble head! They literally have no use, but they're kind of fun to watch while you're flying for hours.

Unfortunately it seems unlikely that I will be able to kill the seeker. I am going to move on and start again in an even more updated version of the game. Let's try Hard Mode, and see if I've learned anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment