Tuesday 14 January 2020

Stencyl Day 2

I finished the Space Invaders Game! Yay! It was a long tutorial for a very simple game, increasing my respect for actual game developers. That stuff is hard! Keeping track of all the movements and keys and time, I ran into quite a few problems because I missed one (1) tiny step.

Let's start by making our new game!

This is the pack provided to you by the tutorial.
Name the Game. I named it Invaders because I'm SO original.

One of the most important things about this game is setting the collision groups. That makes a big difference to the game. I didn't do that at first, and it really screwed up my game.

The bullet and enemy actor groups need to be set to collide with each other. They're both actors.

Time to set the background! They give you the art for the background galaxy print. I would like this wallpaper for my room.

You have to set up a lot of code for the bullets so they fire properly. In accordance with this, you have to set up codes for the ship, and the enemy ship.



After all that is done, your game should run properly.
Or it will do this;
If that happens, all you need to do is make sure your collision groups are correct and set properly.
This is about halfway done.
So far, I've set up my level by downloading the pack, importing all my actors and giving them behavioral attributes so they work together.
Next time, we will give the bullets the power to destroy their enemies, and set up a way to win the game.
So far we've learned how to code in this app, and we are going to learn how to make our own font, set up sound effects, and game effects. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment